- Corporate governance and risk management principles
- Drivers for governance and the responsibilities of governance
- Strategic intent and the importance of strategic planning
- Developing and reviewing planning frameworks
- Implementing and overseeing an effective risk management regime
- Determining the risk appetite and organisational risk culture
- Compliance and performance reporting (including Board reporting)
Who should attend?
The workshop is designed for accountable officers, predominantly from the middle to senior management of the public service, and who are responsible for overseeing, or require knowledge in, corporate governance or risk management. No knowledge of the topics is assumed; participants with prior experience may find the workshop useful to refresh and extend their knowledge.
The QTC Education Program is only available to Queensland Public Sector Employees (this includes employees of the Queensland Government, Queensland government departments, local governments, statutory corporations, and other entities to the extent they have an association or are related to the State of Queensland) and QTC employees. By registering for a workshop or webinar, you acknowledge that you are a Queensland Public Sector Employee. QTC/UQ reserves the right to unenroll any person that is not a Queensland Public Sector Employee or QTC employee from any workshop or webinar in the Education Program. If you are unenrolled from a workshop or webinar you will be entitled to receive a full refund of any workshop fees paid.
At the completion of the course participants will be able to understand:
- understand corporate governance principles
- identify the key governance elements, as they relate to the Queensland public sector
- examine the governance duties and responsibilities of directors and accountable officers
- understand the term ‘strategy’ and the importance of strategic planning
- consider planning frameworks and the importance of aligning operational and strategic levels
- apply commonly used strategic planning and monitoring tools and techniques
- confirm why risk management is important
- confirm the risk management process and the importance of applying this at both the operational and strategic levels
- consider performance and compliance reporting
- illustrate the links between strategy, risk, financial health, and value creation.
Participants will examine real-life examples, and have the opportunity to explore current workplace scenarios, to reinforce the course topics.
Continuing professional development
Completion of QTC Education Program workshops may be recognised for the purpose of continuing professional development hours for members of the Australian Institute of Company Directors (AICD), CPA Australia, Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CA), Financial Services Institute of Australasia (FINSIA), Governance Institute of Australia, and other professional bodies and associations.
|16 June||1 day||UQ Brisbane City||$660|
"I undertook two workshops through QTC's education services through a graduate training program. Of the many types of training we received in the program, myself and my cohort found the QTC workshops to be among the most valuable."